This innovative new textbook firmly roots management accounting in management,placing the emphasis on the management accountant as a key member of the management team and the strategic business decision making process. Unique case studies and examples of worldwide practices illustrate how concepts and techniques are applied in real-world business situations.
It explores how management accounting techniques are adapted and modified to support specific industries from energy to media sectors and covers topical issues such as:
- Environmental accounting
- Environmental auditing and ISO14001/EMAS
- The balanced scorecard
- Kaizen costing
- Target costing
- Social responsibility
- Integrates the most up-to-date and relevant research with a broad approach to management accounting.
- Presents compelling examples of ‘real’ organisations, exploring the interactions of management accounting in practice.
- Extends knowledge of management accounting concepts and techniques to how they can be used for strategic decision making and management control.
- Uses Excel to develop and apply solutions methods.
- Examines how management accounting techniques are adapted and modified to support specific industries from energy to media sectors.
- Covers topical issues such as activity-based budgeting, the balanced scorecard, target costing, capacity planning, quality management, Six Sigma and performance measurement.
- Fully compliant with developments within the professional bodies such as CIMA and ACCA.
- Offers end-of chapter exercises to extend your critical thinking and applications of key concepts.
- Provides short case studies, so you can practise manipulating and analysing data.
Section I: Management Accounting
Chapter 1: The Strategic Role of Management Accounting
Chapter 2: Planning and Decision-Making Under Risk
Chapter 3: Management Control
Chapter 4: Cost Information for Decision-Making and Control
Section 2: Profitability Analysis
Chapter 5: Budgeting and Beyond
Chapter 6: Financial Modelling
Chapter 7: Cost Analysis and Estimation
Chapter 8: Investment Analysis
Section 3: Management Control Systems
Chapter 9: Management and Operational Performance
Chapter 10: Transfer Pricing in Decentralized Organizations
Chapter 11: Integrated Financial and Non-Financial Measures
Chapter 12: Inter-organizational Control