Theory & Practice
By Eddie McLaney
Financial Times / Prentice Hall
536 Pages, Illustrated, 7 ¾” x 10 ½”
$99.50 paper original
Now in its 7th edition, Business Finance by Eddie McLaney gives an invaluable and up-to-date introduction to finance and investment. Taking a user’s perspective it explores where finance and investment sit in a company’s decision-making process. The way the author blends the theoretical, analytical and practical aspects of business finance makes this text a highly successful and popular choice for students who have little or no experience of the subject.
This text is suitable for students taking an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in finance or accounting and for those on business courses with an option in finance or accounting. It is also highly appropriate for professional accounting students.
PART 1: THE BUSINESS FINANCE ENVIRONMENT
2. A framework for financial decision making
3. Financial accounting statements and their interpretation
PART 2: INVESTMENT DECISIONS
4. Investment appraisal methods
5. Practical aspects of investment appraisal
6. Risk in investment appraisal
7. Portfolio theory and its relevance to real investment decisions
PART 3: FINANCING DECISIONS
8. Sources of long-term finance
9. The secondary capital market (the stock exchange) and its efficiency
10. Cost of capital estimations and the discount rate
11. Gearing, the cost of capital and shareholders’ wealth
12. The dividend decision
PART 4: INTEGRATED DECISIONS
13. Management of working capital
14. Corporate restructuring (including takeovers and divestments)
15. International aspects of business finance
16. Small businesses
Appendix 1. Present value table
Appendix 2. Annuity table
Appendix 3. Suggested answers to review questions
Appendix 4. Suggested answers to selected problem questions
• Packed with fresh and international examples to engage and motivate students
• Case Studies from the real world, featuring relevant and modern organizations such as Tesco and Sainsburys, BSkyB, Weetabix and Unilever, to bring the subject to life.
• End of chapter summaries, review questions and problems to encourage self-testing and to help revision.
• Computational problems, graded from basic to advanced, giving the opportunity for further study.
• Excellent support package for students and lecturers featuring an interactive study guide, flashcards, additional questions and case studies, multiple choice questions, weblinks, PowerPoint slides and progress tests.
Return to the Businesss Titles Home Page