Introduction to Banking
By Barbara Casu, Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux
Financial Times / Pearson Education
557 pages, Illustrated, 7 3/4 x 10 1/2"
$89.50 paper original
Provides a comprehensive introduction to theoretical and applied issues relating to the global banking industry. The text is organised into four main Sections: Introduction to Banking; Central Banking and Bank Regulation; Issues in Bank Management and Comparative Banking Markets. Over recent years there has been a lack of a comprehensive yet accessible textbook that deals with a broad spectrum of introductory banking issues. This text fills that gap.This book is suitable for all undergraduate students taking courses in banking. It is also great background reading for postgraduate students.
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO BANKING
1. What is Special about Banks?
2. Banking Activities and Current Issues in Banking
3. Types of Banking
4. International Banking
PART II: CENTRAL BANKING AND BANK REGULATION
5. Theory of Central Banking
6. Central Banks in Practice
7. Bank Regulation and Supervision
PART III: ISSUES IN BANK MANAGEMENT
8. Banks Balance Sheet & Income Structure
9. Managing Banks On- and Off- The Balance Sheet
10. Banking Risks
11.Banking Risks Management
PART IV: COMPARATIVE BANKING MARKETS
12. UK Banking
13. European Banking
14. Banking in the New EU Member States
15. Banking in the US
16. Banking in Japan
17. Banking in Emerging and Transition Economies
A1: Interest Rates, Bonds and Yields
A2: Introduction to Portfolio Theory
* Strong focus on contemporary central banking and bank regulation issues comparing the US, Eurozone and the UK provides students with the most up-to-date information on banking practice.
* Bank management issues, including insight into risk management techniques used by banks prepares students to understand the different financial features of commercial and investment banks.
* Recent developments in developed, emerging and transition banking and financial systems are covered in detail, familiarising students with different types of banking systems and how global trends impact on different types of banking markets.
Return to the Businesss Titles Home Page