Introducing Human Resource Management,
By Margaret Foot
Financial Times/ Prentice Hall
Distributed by Trans-Atlantic Publications Inc.
$105.00 paper original
This is an accessible and lively introduction to the frameworks of people management strategies, and the basic operational areas and practices of HRM. The fifth edition continues to explore ideas and themes in an engaging style with reference to real-life examples, and student-friendly features and activities.
This edition includes new coverage of well-being, equality and diversity, and offers a greater international perspective throughout. It is aimed at students taking an HRM option on a Business Degree, or those studying for an HND, Foundation Degree or CIPD qualification.
- Introducing human resource management
- Human resource strategy and planning
- High performance working: employee engagement through involvement and participation
- The employment relationship
- Equality and diversity
- Selection: shortlisting and interviews
- Selection: supplementing the interview
- Performance management and appraisal
Learning and development
- Payment systems
- Health, safety and welfare
- Discipline and grievance
- Dismissal, redundancy and outplacement
- Learning Objectives to list the concepts or skills you should be able to apply by the end of the chapter
- ‘Did you know?’ and ‘Pause for thought’ features offer opportunities for critical reflection throughout the chapter material
- Activities are integrated throughout to enable you to examine key learning points
- Review Questions and Self-Check Questions are included at the end of each chapter for you to check your understanding of the chapter material
- ‘HR in the News’ features provide relevant articles from the FT illustrating real-world examples that correspond to the concepts introduced in the chapter. Questions are included to stimulate discussion
Both Margaret Foot and Caroline Hook are based at Huddersfield University Business School.
Return to the Businesss Titles Home Page