A Toolkit for Reaping the Rewards
from All Your Business Projects
3rd Edition [Includes
By Robert Buttrick
Financial Times / Prentice Hall
512 Pages, Illustrated, 6 ¾" x 9 ½"
$77.50 Paper Original
Put yourself and your business through the Project Workout to direct and manage
projects that will deliver results, drive change and improve the health of your
business. Supported by the Project Workout Live online resource, The Project
Workout shows you how to: Measure critical success factors in any project, Diagnose
and address any potential difficulties of implementation, Master a staged framework
for managing a successful project, Develop the soft (interpersonal) and hard
(structured management) skills of the project manager, Analyze your project
as a single entity, and also manage a portfolio of projects, Assess your resource
strategy and management effectively, Improve your project tracking and delivery.
This 3rd edition of the definitive book on business-led program and project
management offers help at every stage, from building a project team right up
to reaping the rewards of a timely and successful project. It will be a valuable
companion for project managers and executives at any level, and a comprehensive
resource for students of project management. Projects are an important strategic
management tool and a way of life for every businessperson. But how do you get
started and ensure a successful outcome? This book takes the reader step by
step through project management, acting as a companion and guide to ultimate
PART I CHALLENGES TO BE FACED
1. Challenges We Need to Face
2. Advice the Best Companies Give Us
PART II A WALK THROUGH A PROJECT
3. The Project Framework: an Overview of its Gates and Stages
4. Who Does What?
5. The Proposal: Identify the Need
6. The Initial Investigation Stage: Have a Quick Look at it!
7. The Detailed Investigation Stage: Promising...Let's Have a Closer Look
8. The Develop and Test Stage: Do It!
9. The Trial Stage: Try it Out
10. The Release Stage: Lets Get Going!
11. The Post Implementation Review: How Did We Do?
12. Applying the Stage Framework
13. A Few Related Projects: Programs
PART III DEALING WITH MANY PROJECTS
14. Portfolios of Projects
15. There Are Two Many Projects To Do!
16. Have I Got the Resources?
17. An Environment for Managing your Portfolio
PART IV MAKING PROJECTS WORK FOR YOU
18. Project Teams and Style19. Project Set Up
20. Managing Benefits
21. Managing the Schedule
22. Managing the Finances
23.Managing What Might Go Wrong (or Right): Risks and Opportunities
24. Managing What Has Gone Wrong (or Right!): Issues
25. Lets Do It Differently!: Change Management
26. Reviews and More Reviews
27. Closing the Project
PART V IMPLEMETING THE FRAMEWORK
28. Implementing the Framework
Appendix A Brainstorming
Appendix B Glossary
Appendix C A Project Process Framework
The third edition of the Project Workout will reflect the changes in the project
environment since the year 2000. Whilst the fundamental principles have not
changed, the business, organisational and technical landscape has moved on.
Return to the Businesss Titles Home