Research Methods for Leisure & Tourism, 3rd edition
A Practical Guide
By A.J. Veal
Financial Times / Pearson Education
$72.50 paper original
This best selling text offers a practical guide to the methodology and techniques
of conducting research in Leisure and Tourism.
Covering both qualitative and quantitative methods, this completely revised
and updated third edition is essential reading for all students and leisure
managers evaluating and planning the services they offer.
1. Introduction: what, why and who?
2. Approaches to leisure and tourism research
3. Starting out - research plans and proposals
4. The range of research methods
5. Reviewing the literature
6. Secondary data: sources and analysis
8. Qualitative methods
9. Questionnaire surveys and questionnaire design
11. Survey analysis
12. Statistical analysis
13. Preparing a research report
• Teaches students to critique the techniques presented so that they can
apply these into practice.
• Gives students an appreciation of the role of research in the policy-making,
planning and management processes of the leisure and tourism industries.
• Coverage of a broad range of research methodologies ensures that students
gain a wide understanding of the tools and techniques that can be utilised.
• Key paradigmatic issues are discussed, including positivist and interpretive
research, qualitative and quantitative methods, induction and deduction, experimental
and non-experimental approaches and observed and self-reported data.
• Broad coverage of ethics in research.
Return to the Businesss Titles Home